Monday, May 9, 2011

Race for the Cure 5k

This year I made the same New Year's Resolution as most people- to get in shape! At the beginning of the year I got sick with the swine flu, when I got over it I had already started the year by cutting out caffeine and losing a few pounds! So it was a great time to get on the wii fit and start on my resolution for 2011. After a few weeks I was getting really motivated and started to attempt jogging a little while I was out on my walks. Let me make this very clear- I had NEVER run a day in my life. I had no desire to and no plans to. BUT- after watching my dad run his marathon in the fall he really inspired me to attempt it. Before I knew it I was trying to jog a little more everyday. Then my dad called and suggested we sign up for the Race for the Cure 5k in April. I was very nervous but he kept encouraging me and telling me we still had a few months to get ready for it. And that time was not important to him just that we do it and finish it.

With the crazy winter that we had between all of the snow and sickness my training didn't go as well as I had hoped but we had already signed up to run the 5k with the Roadhogs and so many precious people had already donated money to this great cause so we went for it.

When we got to the race I was a nervous wreck. Foolishly I had trained on a VERY flat trail and the first stretch of our race was a hill. But dad said don't worry "after that first hill it evens out then the last stretch is down hill." So I kept telling myself- "I can do this." (by the way, he was VERY wrong, the entire 3 miles was hill after hill, after hill!)

Well- we lined up, the gun went off and we started running. (As we were taking off we saw our sweet friend Sandy that took this picture of us as.)

About 5 seconds after we started I realized I wasn't prepared for one of the biggest parts of the day...the MENTAL part. I knew I was going to be much slower than most of the people in the competitive race and my main goal was not to be the last one to cross the finish line. But I was not prepared for how many people would be there and how fast so many of them would be. We started in the back of the 'pack' but when we had barely made it across the start line and looked ahead to see the front of the "pack" heading up to the top of the hill I started having a panic attack. My heart was racing and my breathing was uneven and I didn't think there was ANY way I was going to be able to do this. But thankfully I had my daddy with me. He is one of the most encouraging people you will ever meet in your life. He just kept telling me- don't worry about the other people, take deep breaths....... and we kept going. When we got to the 1 mile mark I thought I was going to die. It was the longest mile I had ever done and again I thought there was no way I was going to cross that finish line. But dad kept encouraging me and kept me going.

Before I knew it we were at the 2nd mile mark and I was feeling much better. By this time I had gotten over the panic attack and my breathing was evening out. Dad and I just kept talking and he continued to encourage me. And all of the sudden he said, "ok, here we are, lets kick it up a notch the finish line is just over that hill." As we came over the hill and I saw the finish line it seemed so close and so far away at the same time. Until dad said he could see Andy waiting by the finish line. At that point I forgot about everything else. I don't even remember the breathing, tiredness anything that I felt as we came down the hill. I could see my little cheerleader......

My husband, mom, sister and niece waving at us and cheering for us. It was one of the most amazing feelings I have ever felt.

Waving at my sweet girl right before crossing the finish line.

With my amazing daddy right after we finished our first 5k. There is NO WAY I would have crossed that finish line had it not been for my dad. He encouraged me the entire way. And slowed WAY down to stay with me. (Had he not gone slower to stay with me he would have had a great time.) Thank you dad for signing me up and running with me. It was truly a day I will never forget and am so thankful for.

This is the Roadhog team! Dad, Me, Jim & Jared. Together the Roadhogs raised over $3,000 for breast cancer awareness.

I also want to say a special thank you to: Zach & Sarah Edwards, Mark Cothren, Ken & Billie Grable, Nanette Piker, Jim & Regina Mitchell, Karen Corn & Linda Johnson for your financial support to the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure. And thank you to the many friends and family that supported me with prayer and encouragement during the preparation for the race. I am very thankful for all of you and thankful to the Lord for giving me the strength to accomplish this goal.

Also.....I met my goal, I was not the last person to cross the finish line! :)

0 comments: